Since coming into dentistry, dental implants have changed how people replace functional missing teeth. Since more of the population is living longer and are expecting good replacement teeth, dental implants have become the dental treatment of choice for dentists & patients. If you have local dental implants questions, you can ask us here on Dentalchat. We will be discussing dental implant treatment and how sometimes dental implants do not last long in the mouth after placement.
Dental Implant Information and AI Dental Implants Discussion
Since coming into dentistry in the 1960s, modern dental implants have helped millions of people across the world. Before dental implants, Local Dentists had few dental treatment options for patients who were missing one or more teeth - or if missing all their teeth. Millions of people had partial dentures or full dentures, which would cause mouth sores from the movement in the mouth and bone loss in the jaw.
Now, there is AI Dental Implant Chat Information using smart AI Dental Care technology that people can use to get more information. We are at DentalChat looking to provide unique live dentist information about dental implants. AI and dental implant treatment are more than ever going hand in hand - as more dental practices are incorporating dental AI to provide better dental implant care. This can be in areas of dental implant image analysis and more.
Now, dentists have many options with dental implants. In this Local Dentist Chat article, we will be discussing dental implants and why they sometimes fail over time.
Local Dental Implants Placement and Dental Implant Treatment Information.
Dental implants have become the treatment of choice to replace a tooth or teeth in the mouth. We do get many local dental implants inquiries and do provide many dental implants answers online. Perhaps the most common dental implants question is, "What is a dental implant?"
What are the dental implant steps:
1. Dental Implant Consultation and Dental X-rays - Get a dental exam and dental consultation with a dentist, periodontist, or oral surgeon about dental implant placement. Your dentist will most likely take dental imaging X-rays. During this dental implant consultation,
2. Discuss the Dental Implant Treatment Plan - This includes the timeline and costs of the dental implants.
3. Dental Implant Placement, Dental Implant Crowns, and Dental Implant Dentures - This will be usually done in steps. Discuss with your dentist about these dental implant steps.
4. Post-Operative Dental Implant Care - Dental implant post-operative care is very important.
Why Dental Implants Sometimes Fail?
Dental implants have become much more popular to replace a missing tooth or teeth by dentists. Many dentists are finding placing a dental implant to possibly be the best way of replacing a tooth or teeth. The success rate of dental implants placed is quite high, with a 95% plus success rate, especially if done by a skilled dentist.
The number of dental implants placed into the mouth is increasing each year, with many people choosing dental implant(s) over a denture or bridge - of course, there are some people who do nothing after having a tooth or teeth extracted. Okay, that being said - let’s discuss why a dental implant can fail? Here are some reasons possibly a dental implant can fail - just one thing to keep in mind... Any dental service can go wrong, many times it is not because of poor dental care, bad dental implant, etc.
Any time placing foreign material into your body, things can go wrong. In the case of dental implants, sometimes (very rare) a non-union of the dental implant and the bone in the jaw happens.
First, let's have a basic introduction to what is a dental implant? A dental implant is a screw-like post that is placed into the human jaw. That is, the dental implant is generally drilled into the jaw - through several steps. One key for dental implant dentists is to make sure the dental implant placement is made into strong & stable jaw bone.
The dentist or oral surgeon wants to make sure that the underlying bone the dental implant is placed into is strong enough to hold the dental implant. There, a process called osseointegration happens between the dental implant, jaw bone, and gums - where stability is hopefully achieved.
Reasons For Dental Implant Failure
1. One of the reasons a dental implant can fail is because it is placed into a poorly dense area and/or gum disease area. That is, the bone level is low and there is prevalent gum disease all over the area the dental implant is being placed. Think of it this way, you would not want to place a new tree in the desert. You want the tooth to be placed into an area that is cleaned up or at least has enough bone, that can attach to the dental implant or the dental implants.
2. The dentist placing your dental implant should have the right experience and dental training. Under normal conditions, Placing dental implants is not the most difficult thing for a well-trained dentist. Though as any skill or work is done, the person doing the skilled job is very important.
3. Not all dental implants are made by quality manufacturers. Most dentists do their research, but some dental implant manufacturers are made kind of cheaply. The majority of dental implant manufacturers make good dental implants. Unfortunately, there are some not-so-great quality dental implants being manufactured in some developing countries.
4. Some Medical Conditions such as diabetes can increase the likelihood of dental implant failure. Each case or person is different - if the person has any existing medical conditions such as diabetes, the dental implant may be more susceptible to not working out. Having a condition such as diabetes does not mean that a person can not get a dental implant or dental implants. Though, the person should know or be aware that the likelihood of dental implant failure increases. That is, the dental implant placed inside your mouth may not last as long and may end up having to be removed.
5. How the dental implant is placed into your mouth and where the dental implant is placed. Very rarely will see dental implant(s) being placed by nerve areas that may be causing pain. Also, will see dental implants not being placed properly.
6. Having an infection around the dental implant area - unfortunately, many people who get dental implants do not take proper care of them. One of the most important things a person or patient getting a dental implant/dental implants to do is to maintain proper & good oral hygiene after getting a dental implant. No matter how good the dental implant is, if do not brush your teeth - the dental implant and the teeth in your mouth will suffer from gum disease. This also includes having regular dental prophy / dental exams with your dentist. One thing to keep in mind - Gum disease is one of the main reasons people lose their teeth as adults. Dental implant gum disease is sometimes known as peri-implantitis.
7. Following dentist instructions post-operative. Most dentists placing dental implants advise the patient to not smoke. By smoking after getting dental implants, the success rate is decreased. Understand the instructions your dentist is giving you as a patient, after getting a dental implant - and following them.
After the dental implant placement - the dental implant crown information:
Let's discuss the dental implant crown being placed on top of the dental implant further. Dental implant crowns being done in the right way after dental implant placement is very important. The bite and functionality, after dental implant crown placement, should be accurate and comfortable when chewing.
Summary: Local Dental Implants Chat Online, Ask Us Your Dental Implants Question, Why Dental Implants Sometimes Fail and Online Dental Implant Treatment Chatting
In conclusion, most dental implants placed in the jaw are successful. Sometimes though they do not work out. Like any oral surgical procedure, failure does happen occasionally - be it, fairly rarely. We will be doing more Online Dental Implant Chatting / Local Dental Implants Placement Discussions in more detail in the coming weeks and months at DentalChat. As we discussed, some of the reasons why dental implants fail are not proper dental implant treatment plans and not good post-operative dental implant care.
We have many more dental blogs and dental articles on DentalChat. For those that want to understand periodontal disease for instance, here is a Dental Chat article link that may interest our users. We have other local dental implant blogs on dental chat as well. We do welcome our reader's feedback and dental suggestions. We at Dentalchat do answer local dental implant questions online. Ask us about your local dental implant inquiry by posting here on Dental Chat to get local dentist implant answers online.